Friday, January 30, 2004

 
Vegetarians

Me a strong proponet of vegetarianism. Not just in food, but also in lifestyle, I prefer leading a life as non-intrusive as possible towards animals.

Just happened to notice a list of famous vegetarians. Reminded me 2 ppl who I just cannot respect for been non-vegetarians - Vajpayee and Dalai Lama. I have not heard of any excuse from the Vajpayee camp for his liking to non-vegetarian food. I have seen ppl who are brought up in a non-vegetarian environment become vegetarian - and in the process enduring huge amounts of social embarassment. And, for a person born in an vegetarian family to turn himself into a meat-eater is - for me - simply unacceptable.

But I have seen Dalai Lama providing excuses for his non-vegetarianism. I just cannot accept that someone who says he is the spiritual guru of Buddhists to provide such excuses. Does he think that if The Buddha himself were to be in his place, he would have went the same path? For a person who calls himself the living Buddha, the incarnation of the Bodhisattva of Compassion, been a non-vegetarian is a disgrace.

Expansion is life, contraction is death. Love is life, and hatred is death. We commenced to die the day we began to hate other races; and nothing can prevent our death unless we come back to expansion, which is life.
-Vivekananda

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

You are visitor number since May 1, 2005